2 tablespoons canola oil
1 cup chopped celery
½ onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 pounds tomatoes, chopped
2 chile guajillo
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
4 cups chicken broth
1 corn tortilla, plus 4 or 6 corn tortilla strips
1 avocado, diced
2 chile guajillo, seeded and sliced into thin rings
4 teaspoons sour cream
1 cup queso fresco, diced
2 tablespoons fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
1. In a medium saucepan, heat the oil over medium–high heat. Add the celery, onion, garlic, tomatoes, chile guajillo, salt, and pepper and sauté until all the vegetables are soft.
2. Transfer the contents of the pan to a blender or food processor and puree until smooth.
3. Return the puree to the pan. Add the chicken broth and the whole tortilla and bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 20 minutes. The tortilla will disintegrate, thickening the broth.
4. Divide the tortilla strips among four bowls, and ladle the soup over them.
5. Garnish with the avocado, chile guajillo rings, sour cream, queso fresco, and cilantro.